- If you don’t ask, you won’t get donations.
- Aim HIGH! Challenge yourself, and even if you don’t reach the goal, you’ll raise more than the minimum.
- The best request gives ownership to the donor (how they are having an impact, etc.)
- Don’t be afraid to send out donation requests multiple times; repetition is very important.
- People get busy, and they need reminders.
- Thank your donors within 48 hours (letter, email, phone call, text).
- Donations are 100% Tax Deductible! AADAP’s Tax ID is: 95-2848695.
The first thing you want to do is make sure your fundraising profile on Team AMP’s GoFundMe page. Personalize it and let people know who you are and why you’re running for Team AMP. The more personal, the more you’ll attract potential donors.
STEPS TO A SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER
1. Get to know AADAP. AADAP, Inc. (Asian American Drug Abuse Program) serves people throughout the Los Angeles County in substance abuse treatment. Not only does AADAP provide substance abuse counseling; AADAP has expanded its services to include Employment Services, HIV/AIDS Outreach and Cross Training, Drug Court Treatment, Outpatient Treatment, Adolescent Treatment Prevention, API CalWorks support services as a linkage to treatment, and tobacco education.
2. Plan your campaign. Take some time to think about what you want to say and who you want to ask. Think about who you can ask, and how you should ask them. Think of planning your fundraising like training for a race: plan for success in advance and adjust your plans as needed. Here’s a list of people you might want to ask.
- Your friends and family
- Your favorite barista
- Your old professor/teacher
- Your past coach
- Your old roommate
- Your neighbor
- People you work with in partner organizations
- Your doctor
- Your lawyer
- Your accountant
- Your personal trainer
- Your gym buddies
- Your favorite local business (hairdresser, nail salon, etc.)
3. Start fundraising! We’ve put together a timeline for how to execute your campaign. Be polite and personal! Each person you ask will require different methods of approach.
- First announcement of your quest to finish the Marathon/Half Marathon/5K, and your fundraising goal ($1000, $1500, etc.)
- First progress report: give updates on training progress (eg. just ran 1mi/10 mi), fundraising progress, what you need to reach goal.
- Mention a race/activity you might be doing in preparation like another event.
- Consider asking for donations in lieu of gifts for special occasions (Birthday, Graduations, Special Holidays, etc.)
- Second progress report: updates on training and fundraising.
- Make this a time to recognize and thank all the donors who have given so far.
- Good idea to challenge yourself to complete a long run- and share/brag with your supporters!
- Third progress report: updates on training and fundraising
- Add reminder: Only 1 month left until the LA Marathon/Charity Challenge/5K!
- Fourth progress report: Push hard for donations
- Remind folks that there is only 2 weeks left until the LA Marathon/Charity Challenge/5K!
- Ask your earliest donors if they will help you reach your goal with a second donation.
- Final push for donations: Last push for donations!
- Remind folks that there is only 1 week left until the LA Marathon/Charity Challenge/5K!
- Fill them in on what you’re doing to prepare for the race (diet, apparel, mental rituals, etc.)
4. After the race, send out a Thank You message and brief recap of how your race went. They want to know how you did and will really appreciate you letting them know. If you haven’t reached your goal, use this time to remind folks that they can still donate before April 30th, 2020.
Questions? Contact Paulina Hong, Team AMP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, 323-296-6284.